Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I weep for the future... of graphic design.



Fig. 1 - My original

So
yesterday I was told that I had to do four posters for a trade show. Okay, not a big deal. Then they told me that they had to be completed enough for review by about noon. Okay, yikes, not usually my preferred timeframe... but I'm a tough dude, I can whip something out.
So after my first attempt was unceremoniously shot down (for apparently not being eye-catching) I tried something a little bolder (see fig.1) as the basis for the four posters. "A big, bold background and bright text! That'll knock 'em dead!," I thought to myself. Seeing as the top heading cried out "big money!" to me, I went with fonts similar to what's on American paper money. This went over well, and they agreed to use it. No big problems thus far. Pretty proud of my bold (albeit rushed) design.

Then today, my boss tells me that the head boss called for a few changes at the (even more) last minute, and for time's sake she (my boss) would be the one to implement them. Fine, fine... this is usually nothing big. However, after I saw the final version, I may be decidedly more wary of "a few changes" in the future. To say that "I'm not entirely pleased with the final version that was decided upon by the higher-ups" would be a bit of an understatement. (see fig.2)


Fig. 2 - Bastardization

I... *sigh*... I fought the law, and the law won? A camel is a horse created by a committee? I don't know what else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment