Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Squier Bullet Redux

After lusting after many guitars on Craigslist, I thought my bank account might be better served by fixing up some of the guitars I already own, so I set myself up to renew my beat-up Squier Bullet.

It's never really been my favorite guitar. I got it in high school for $80 so I could have a beater guitar to take overseas without worrying about the dangers guitars face during air travel. A previous owner painted the sparkly, bluish-teal question mark, so I can't take credit for that one. It appears that Fender only made this oddly squished body shape between 1987 and 1988, but it's a sort of Stratocaster nonetheless, and it's always good to have one in your guitar arsenal.


//// Fair warning: guitar geekyness below ////

It was not only dusty, but everything that was once white had yellowed, so I cleaned the whole thing, using bleach on the plastic pickguard. The input jack had completely come undone so I re-soldered that, then replaced the pickups with some used ones from a genuine Strat (which were super cheap, in a ragtag "used pickup" box at Sound Source). I also replaced the volume and tone knobs, which were mismatched and also yellowed.
The '87/'88 Bullet, minus pickguard and electronics.

The original pickups

So I'm not the best solderer in the world, but hey, it works!

Then I got a new whammy bar (because I'd never had one with this guitar), and was trying out some neat divebombs when there was a huge SNAP! Turns out that I broke a big piece off the tremolo block—a (formerly) solid piece of metal that holds the strings under the bridge, through the guitar, and connects to the tension springs on the back. I didn't think that could happen, but uh, maybe I'm just that strong? Or maybe because it was cheaply made. Nah... it's definitely 'cause I'm super strong.

Despite the break, after adjusting the string saddles for action and intonation, now it plays real nice! I can Strat me some Stratty goodness with all the Hendrix and Clapton wannabes. It was a fun project to do. I'll probably still do some aesthetic work on it... I gotta get rid of that question mark. 

All cleaned up and put back together!

New speed knobs. They get in my way a little, but overall they're still way better than before.

It also got me thinking about replacing it with something a little nicer, possibly something different and more fun... and I have been reading a lot about Brad Paisley and Tom Morello lately...


No comments:

Post a Comment